Basic Background Questions
To Study Any Book Of The Bible
1. Author - who wrote the book?
2. Recipients - to whom was the book written?
3. Date of Writing – when was the book written?
4. Geography – where was the author; the recipients; any pertinent land or water features?
5. Culture – are there any significant social issues; trade, economy, kings, gods, war, etc.?
6. Dispensational Distinction – the message speaks to people in which dispensation?
7. Theme – what is the main topic & purpose of writing; why was the book written?
8. Place in Canon – how does the book relate to other books of the Bible?
9. Literary Form – is the book law, poetry, a letter (epistle), history, a narrative, etc.?
10. Outline – make a simple outline of the book; keep it basic; (not always necessary).
Keep your answers brief: oneword, or only one or two sentences. A very short paragraph (5-7 sentences) should be the most needed for your answers.
Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed,
rightly dividing the word of truth. 2 Timothy 2:15
James Utter 1/2013